Music #4: Epic: The Musical, The Circe Saga

    This is the fourth and final saga that is out so far. Obviously, there will be more considering the story has yet to be finished. I really love this saga simply because Circe is an amazing character, and the singer has a beautiful voice. Talya Sindel is the one behind the voice, her voice is one I could listen to for hours on end even if it's a terrible song, though the amazing music certainly helps. There are four songs on this saga as well, in order they are: "Puppeteer", "Wouldn't You Like", "Done For", "There are Other Ways". Honestly, they are all amazing in their own right and will either make this post incredibly long or make their way onto their own posts at some time. The biggest thing to know about this saga is that it is brilliant and confuses me in so many brilliant ways. Such as, is it supposed to be so catchy? And why am I only listening to it now?

    The first song is "Puppeteer" and for me its impossible for me to express exactly what makes this song so beautiful, of course there are parts I can reference, lyrics that I particularly enjoy and stuff. However, there's something in the message of it that hits me much harder than it may hit others. For example, whenever the chorus comes up I feel the need to sing it to my hearts content. Specifically the part that goes "I've got all the power, yeah, I've got all the power. No I'm not a player, I'm a puppeteer, yeah." It doesn't seem like much, but in the song it sound amazing. Besides that, there is also my favourite lyrics that go:

    (Eurylochus)

        Sir, since we left home we've faced a variety of foes from a wide range of places

        Gods, monsters, you know the roster, hostile creatures that we could resist

        But this was a hell of a twist, cause we are weak to a power like this

    (Odysseus, spoken)

        What was it?

    (Eurylochus, spoken)

        A woman

    (Odysseus, spoken)

        What?

    (Eurylochus, spoken)

        She had us in just two words

    (Circe)

        Come inside

    (Odysseus, spoken)

        Damn

    I'm absolutely in love with this part simply because of how silly it is, especially since it gives Circe such a wonderful entrance into the story. Coincidentally, it is also the part that went huge on TikTok for this album. I also can't help but love the viola in the background, it gives Circe a dark, romance type vibe despite that being exactly what she is against. If you're wondering where that comes in it's because she turns men into literal pigs in order to protect the young women that live with her. This is important to the story in case you weren't already very aware.

    The second song in the saga stands out from the rest simply because Circe doesn't make an appearance on it. Despite this, or maybe because of this, the song is on equal ground with rest. This saga is quite literally the Circe Saga so of course Circe will be on all of the songs, but I do think it is great to hear another voice singing about Circe instead of Circe singing about herself some more. Besides the line "Wouldn't you like a taste of the power?" is amazing. There is also an incredibly funny line that is simply meant as a joke that I love:

        And I call this root, Holy Moly

    This is followed by a weird huh noise and a crazed laugh which is incredibly funny to me for absolutely zero reason. For no reason at all this part just sticks with me this entire time. Also, an honourable mention to the line that seriously sounds like "She could turn you into an onion" which for the record is meant to be animal rather than onion. That was also a fairly popular sound on TikTok simply because of the singer's accent. The singer is Troy Doherty, and in my opinion his voice tickles the itch in my brain, especially with his accent.

    I'm not even sure how to start talking about "Done For", other than mentioning the beginning sound for this song. Immediately I was completely and whole heartedly enthralled. I mean, who wouldn't be with the sort of tango/ballroom dancing vibe it gives. I, personally, love tango music so it obviously became a quick favourite of mine. Of course, the backing beat makes it even better giving it a more up to date feel. I would also like to mention that this beat heavily reminds me of the opera song "Carmen". Another easy mention is my absolute love for the way they add the song title, "Done For", which basically means I love the lines that these words in. These lines are:

        If you make one wrong move, then you're done for

        Anything I don't approve, then you're done for

        I could put a spell on you, and you're done for

        Boy, you better run, or soon you will be done for

    The title words are also in future lines slightly changed:

        You've made your one wrong, now you're done for

        I will be the one to prove that you're done for

        Not even a spell saves you, 'cause you're done for

        Oh, you better run, or soon you will be done for

    These lyrics are also basically the chorus, although the song is kind of the same words twice only slightly changed the second time. This makes it even more interesting to me, I also love the casual speaking at the very being of the song:

    (Odysseus)

        So I must ask just to be sure

    (Odysseus, spoken)

        Did you do something to them?

    (Circe, spoken)

        Who, me?

        All I did was reveal their true forms

    (Odysseus, spoken)

        You turned them into pigs

    (Circe, spoken)

        Huh

    This is my favourite moment within the song, just because it's funny. I think a lot of the appeal to these songs specifically, compared to the first two sagas anyway, is the humour. It's clear to see that the singers ha a lot of fun making the music and that definitely what I love most about the entire thing, and just the fact that it shows through so clearly makes it that much better.

    The last, but certainly not least by any means is "There Are Other Ways", like the reason this one comes out of nowhere with its greatness, I mean after the previous I thought I saw something great was coming and it completely surpassed what I had originally thought and that a wonderfully beautiful thing. Not to mention the fact that this song is literally making me write run on sentences because there's no way to finish a sentence without thinking 'oh but I also loved this'. So, putting it simply, I am in love with this song. It gives ballroom action scene without images, its hard to make music give such a clear image, but this song does it so well I'm shocked, in a good way of course. It's hard to pick a few lyrics that shine through for me, I mean my judgement for the last song, "Done For", has about half of it's lyrics in this post. But here are some lines that I love to annoy my siblings by singing because it's so catchy:

    (Circe, Odysseus)

        This is the price (I'm just a man) we pay for love

        There is the line (I'm just a man) never enough

        So much power

        So much power (forgive me)

        But there's no puppet here

    What I love about this part is the way it easily calls back to previous songs. The first one is obvious, using the words "Just a man" for the song with the same title. This song was an integral part to the story because it has one of the major themes, which is how far a man is truly willing to go. This theme can also be picked up in the fourth song on The Ocean Saga, "Ruthlessness", which also features these exact words. I would also like to mention this song is specifically about him being tempted to cheat on his wife, which in later lines he does not do. I mention this only because it is an integral part of the story and I love how Jorge Rivera Herrans uses this song to further establish the story and it's themes. The other song mentioned in these lines is from the very first song in the saga, "Puppeteer". I just like how it ties the saga together keeping it somewhat separate from the rest while also keeping it stuck to the rest by the theme, I made mention of earlier. I would also like to mention some more lines that I am simply putting because the emotion within these lines is amazing and I'd be doing the song dirty if I didn't add them. It is also the lines that he denies the temptation and stays strong for his wife.

        I can't

        Back at home my wife awaits for me

        She's my everything, my Penelope

        And she's all my power, all my power

        But it's been twelve long years

        Oh, twelve long years since I have seen my wife

        And now the God of Tides is out to end my life

        I beg you, Circe, grant us mercy

        And let us puppets leave

Comments

Popular Posts