Book Review #14: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

    I read this book when I was in middle school so my views would differ vastly from how I would see it now, especially knowing the information I know now. That being said, it was one of the greatest reads of my middle school career. I honestly think if I actually owned the book, it would make its way into the circuit of reading it once per year. Which is an exclusive right for very few books. One of the best parts about this book, in my opinion, is the focus of the era. This book brings the reader back in time to an old England where women are regarded as nothing, and everyone wears fancy clothes. In all seriousness, the author, Cassandra Clare, easily paints a picture of an era before ours. The details are wonderful, and it complements the characters well. The characters themselves are brilliantly written. They each have their own personalities that collide with other character's personalities. It actually has some of the best written characters in my opinion.

    What I love about Clockwork Angel is the way it has that emotional value everyone craves without being romantically annoying. There are obviously love scenes, but it's a very healthy type of love scenes, where they build the relationship up before they get together. It's clear to see these characters as friends long before they do anything seriously romantic. There are also not so subtle women breaking stereotypes moments. Two of the major characters are women which certainly helps to portray women in this era, but it also shows these women, at times, being stronger than the men within the story. This book has a lot going for it, and not once did I find that the author dropped the ball.

    This is also a prequal to her previous series: The Mortal Instruments (I read the prequal first, so order does not matter between the two)

    Some themes: Action, Romance, Supernatural beings.

    Overall book rating: 10/10


Comments

Popular Posts