Book Review #3: Room by Emma Donoghue

    Room, a young adult novel written by Emma Donoghue, is a dark story from the perspective of a five-year-old named Jack. It is not a book I would recommend to the light of heart because of how dark the plot goes. I did enjoy this book, partly because it told a story most would be afraid to wright, but also because the story was so eye opening for me. The characters made the story come to life and tied with the realness of the situation it made every page practically turn itself.

    While I did enjoy this story, I did find it partially hard to read because it was in the head of Jack, who didn't understand words and sentence structure completely. However, this also proved to be perfect and compelling for the book, adding a child's point of view as if it really were a young child writing instead of an adult author. I also found bits where Jack didn't understand the complications of what was happening because it made it that much more exciting to read and try to understand his reactions. 

    Truly, I would say that this novel is something that wowed me the first time I read it and continues to make me question the novel as a whole while I hang out in the world.

    Some themes: Trauma, Resiliency, Fear, Death.

    Overall book rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular Posts