Book Review #20: They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

    This was an incredibly emotional book for me. There's no real reason other than the fact that Silvera can write an incredible piece of literature that it sure to touch everybody's heartstrings. I can honestly say that by the end this story had me in such a tight hold that I was in tears. I always find that the best story tellers are those that can make incredible characters. Anybody can describe the city we see around us, but only amazing authors like Silvera can truly make the background come alive with characters that interact with it. What made it such a 'worth it' read is that between the two characters, though I obviously favored one, they were both so likeable. They ach had chapters from their own point of view, and not once did I feel the need to put the book down because it was a character I didn't like.

    Not only was I in love with the characters, but I was in love with the plot. The whole idea that these two guys were going to die and were told the day of and now they had the day to do everything they wanted without the next day consequences. Thats a mouth full but trust me it's much better in the book. I mean seriously, it's like a book full of regret which is super relatable and partying which is something we all want to do. I guess what I'm trying to say is that their journey to the end is filled with emotions that are written in such a beautiful and relatable way. I suppose I found this book amazing because I related to the way it sometimes felt like I was lost in my own shell, much like one of the characters.

    It's really hard to talk about this book without having a sad tune. I mean, not to spoil or anything, but the title is kind of correct. No matter how much you may want them to survive, they don't. And I guess that's the beauty of it all. Death is something we all face, even if we don't talk about it constantly. It gets dark, believe me, but that's certainly no reason to leave this book on a shelf and never pick it up. Sometimes we need those dark themes to remind ourselves that we need to leave our shell before we get too many regrets about staying inside the whole time.

    Brief synopsis:
    They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera is a novel about two boys, Mateo and Rufus, who find out they have less than 24 hours to live and decide to spend their last day together. They meet through an app called Last Friend and go on an adventure to make their final moments meaningful. Along the way, they face their fears, regrets, and feelings for each other. 

    Favorite Quote:
    "Maybe it's better to have gotten it right and been happy for one day instead of living a lifetime of wrongs."

    Some themes: Fate, Friendship, Love, Death, Regrets.
    
    Overall book rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular Posts