Book Review #22: Dracula by Bram Stoker

    This is a classic, no matter what anyone says they have heard of it. Now, maybe not exactly the book, but everyone has to know who Dracula is. I mean, it's a classic Halloween monster. However, this book specifically is a classic novel. Many have read it and apparently many actually enjoyed it. I know how bad that sounds and yes, I was not one of the many that thoroughly enjoyed it. The beginning is great, it opens well and it introduces to two of the main collection of characters. Those being Dracula and Jonathan Harker. That was great and all, it had some fore shadowing and honestly it was great just a bit long winded. However, when you finally meet Van Helsing the reader, or at least it felt that way to me, is stuck reading long monologues that are repeated over and over by the same guy. By the time you get near the end you're bored out of your mind as Van Helsing has another speech about the strengths of friendship.

    It's not all bad though. There are a few moments that made up for his large lungs and dementia. The beginning, as I have said, was written well and wasn't so in depth the reader was hoping Dracula would come for them next. I also loved the ending, maybe because the action happened much faster than what had been previous, but also maybe because it was ending. It was very sad at the end and maybe the added emotion made it easier to relate to or understand. The only reason I question why I actually liked it is because the middle made it so hard to like. It was just so boring, and, if you're looking to read it might I suggest it as an audio book instead? At least then you could do something more interesting while listening. It also becomes much clearer when you listen because the two people reading do voices for the characters which does add to the story in my opinion. Of course, this will definitely never be on my read again shelf. 

    Overall book rating: 5/10

    Audio book rating: 6/10 (for the funny accents and also making it much clearer)


Comments

Popular Posts