Book Review #24: City Spies: City of The Dead by James Ponti

     This is the fourth book in the City Spies series, so far only one book has been published after this one in the series. This one more than made up for the forgetful story of the last book. It was a great read that introduced another important character. This also sets up more issues for other important characters to try and tackle. I felt that this new character was well-written and was mentioned in previous books enough to remain mysterious but not completely out of nowhere. While, obviously, this new character is a focus I love how he is not the only focus, the author allows for there to be a focus on other characters as well. I'm not entirely sure what made this book so memorable, I mean, it takes place in Egypt and makes mention of Egypt's history which is something I personally enjoy. But, for many other readers I am sure this one can be memorable for them just by the theme of family. Most people have a family, whether there are problems or not and this book has a theme that kind of encompasses all of that. Obviously, some of the rougher stuff isn't really brought up at all because it is a middle school aged book.

    Often times the longer a series goes the worse it gets and with these books I just don't see it. There are some plot holes I've noticed personally as a whole through the series, which I won't get into since it is a long-winded explanation. But I'm half sure these plot holes are slowly being explained through the series, especially the biggest one that I found while reading. However, in the case of this book specifically it didn't feel as if there was a plot hole at all, other than the one glares at me while I read, which is a series issue not a book issue. In this book the reader actually gets to see some great scenes and get information that I felt was common knowledge as well as some more niche facts that many wouldn't know, and I certainly didn't before I read the book. I guess what I'm trying to spell out is that while this series has one major plot hole that is hard to just dismiss, the individual books themselves are actually brilliantly written and if it wasn't so clear before I am in love with this series and cannot wait for the next to be published.

    Overall book rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular Posts