Side Bar #2: How I Prefer my Books (part 2)

    It's not uncommon for me to pick out books that seem much more childish. Now, while that's not necessarily a need for books, I do like to read some that are a bit more mature, it is definitely something I like. When I read, I like to have some mature and some fun books that don't leave me thinking about the morally grey. I mean I don't want to be left thinking whether or not the protagonist is a good person or not. Those books, while interesting, also make it hard for me to pick up another book. So, I like to have some middle-school, or generally younger books to kind of balance it out and bring me into the cheerfulness that will fade as I read another young adult novel. One that I had picked up when I was reading 'They Both Die at the End' by Adam Silvera, which will have a review soon, was 'City Spies: Forbidden City' by James Ponti.
    
   I am also a complete sucker for a series or other books by the same author. Most times if I read a book and really enjoy it I will go in search for either a second in a possible series or even another book by the same author. In the example of a second book in a series its most likely very easy for you to understand why. I mean, if I love how the story is already going, or I am just in love with the characters then obviously I am going to love a second book, or a third, or a fourth. In the case of another book by the same author, often times the characters are alike in some way. Such as having familiar character traits or acting in the same situation. There is also the voice of the author, I can't tell you how much I am a sucker for a good voice. I found that with every ten books one read almost robotically, while another read as if you were having a conversation with the author. Basically, if the author has a great voice, why not check out some of their other books?

    The final thing I tend to look for comes after I'm already halfway through the book. Spelling, grammar, and general structure. Obviously, with a professionally published book there won't be many mistakes if any at all. I mean, what publisher allows any sort of spelling mistakes? But, if there are any I always feel the need to pause for a moment, because with spelling mistakes come the grammar issues. And well, if it's difficult to read I am not going to get through it.

Comments

Popular Posts