Book Review #27: Percy Jackson and The Olympians: Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

    Riordan was my favourite author growing up, and though I've moved onto other authors, he is still a favourite of mine. The first series I read that was written by him was the Percy Jackson series, of course I've already reviewed the first in the series so now I'm on to the second. This was the only other book in the series that made it to be a movie, which is one hundred percent a good thing. However, one thing I do like from the movie is the line, "Why are you on my roof?", but that's just because it was funny. But, on to the book. I honestly really liked this book, who doesn't when the very first thing is a Satyr in a dress? It continued to be really well-written with the perfect amount of humour sprinkled in. Clarisse is also more prominent in this story, so we get to learn more about her. I find it interesting that someone who's personality is antagonistic is actually a good guy. Obviously, she isn't the antagonist of the story despite her having started a few minor conflicts, really it just makes the character more exciting. I'll also make mention to the fact that it's the second book in a series of five so the cliff hanger at the end is written wonderfully despite a lot of people being upset. So yeah, I really liked this book though it certainly isn't my favourite within the series, that only happens as soon as the reader meets Rachel. 

    I definitely appreciate the character development for the three main characters, Percy, Annabeth, and Grover. The reader is also introduced to Percy's cyclops brother, Tyson. He is a very interesting character, which of course makes Riordan an even better author. I say this because most the characters are incredibly different and I think it's impressive that he can write so many characters so well. I'm not sure I've ever seen a character act completely out of character, especially in this book.

    Overall book review: 9/10

Comments

Popular Posts