Music #1: Epic: The Musical, The Troy Saga

    I am an incredibly huge fan of Musicals and Greek Mythology so when Epic: The Musical was in the making I was incredibly excited. It certainly helps that it was all over TikTok for quite some time. I think what sold it for me was the parts that continuously showed up to the point where I was addicted and needed to hear the rest of the song. It made it a smash hit in my opinion simply because the song upheld how wonderful those specific parts were. In the first album my favourite song was "Just A Man" it's a slower song that is basically a ballad about how far a man can go, especially with being forced to kill a child. The reason this one is my favourite though is because I can play it on violin, it doesn't sound too great though because I need more practice. My description is certainly misleading, but one of the lines is "When does a man become a monster" which I find to be specifically great. This song has a lot of questioning factors as in, it's one that makes the listener question things which is sort of the reason I like it. Of course, songs are supposed to have an emotional value for people to like them and maybe the fact that it questions a person's morals is why it stood out to me in comparison to the other four songs.

    Another reason I love these songs specifically, other than the Greek mythology story line, is because each character has their own instrument or way of sounding. For example, Odysseus, the protagonist of the story, always has some form of guitar playing when the character is present to the song. Another character, Eurylochus, always has an echo of voices because his role as a commander means he has a lot of men and I think this kind of dynamic is incredibly interesting to songs and it really only something you would hear in a musical. I love the fact that each character has their own rhythm because it certainly brings the characters to life and now, whenever I hear a guitar in a song I immediately think of Odysseus. 

    In the first Album, The Troy Saga, has five songs. In order they are titled, "The Horse and The Infant", "Just A Man", "Full Speed Ahead", "Open Arms", and "Warrior of The Mind". The song that went viral on TikTok was "Warrior of The Mind" with the specific lines sung by Odysseus: 

Nah, don't be modest

I know you're a goddess

So let's be honest

You are Athena (Athena)

Badass in the arena

Unmatched, witty, and queen of

The best strategies we've seen

    Trust me when I say it sounds better with the music. Of course, musicals aren't everyone's cup of tea. To be perfectly honest I know many people who dislike musicals and I used to be one of them. This musical is by far my favourite however, and whether that is because it is based on one of my favourite topics, Greek mythology, or whether it's incredibly well written music, or even simply because I get to see it come together before it's actually done, I don't think my opinion will change soon. There are also other sagas in the musical, The Troy Saga is the first, this is followed by The Cyclops Saga, The Ocean Saga, and The Circe Saga, which are all out now. One to soon come out which would finish Act one is The Underworld Saga, which is briefly mentioned in the Saga that comes before.

Comments

Popular Posts